Copyright İ HSOA, LLC - All Rights Reserved

Featured Member
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1 Guest and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bare Back Beaver Rid, Miss Fire, Khalid, cab, Magico Ferro
4367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Facebook

This is the only HSOA supported Facebook group

Topic Options
#331183 - 03/27/14 10:21 AM Earl Scott III Rolling Relay 2014-15 - Public View
gtmalone Offline
I'm the Poster Child for "POST HO"... I'M BEYOND HELP!!!
Loc: Allen, TX
Welcome to the Heritage Springer Owners Association - HSOA

Earl Scott, III - Memorial Ride background
The first Earl Scott III memorial ride originated from the idea of having an HSOA cross country relay ride just for the heck of it with a log book and pictures to document the ride. About the time this relay was being discussed, one of our HSOA member's friends lost their son in his service to our country while in Iraq. The relay idea developed into a rolling memorial to Earl Scott III or "Scotty". The relay ride idea to honor Scotty was presented to Scotty's family. The family was very much behind this idea and put together a memory book with pictures of Scotty and his life. The memory book, log books to document the relay ride, and a digital camera were assembled as a memorial package and carried by HSOA members to all 50 states and parts of Canada during 2010 and early 2011. The memorial package was returned to Scotty's family in March of 2011 at a memorial rally. This rally has since become an annual event to honor Scotty's service to our country and to keep active service members and veterans in the public eye.

2015 marks the 5th anniversary of that first memorial ride. HSOA members and Scotty's family started a second 50 state memorial ride. In addition, three other heroes who lost their lives in service to our country will be honored along with Scotty on this ride.

The ride began on May 10, 2014 with completion on March 5, 2016. The memorial was returned to the families at a memorial rally in Florida.

Final update: 3/9/2016

Be sure to click the links below for info on the first and second memorial rides.

Background for Scotty
Army Chief Warrant Officer 2 Earl R. Scott, III

Earl R. Scott III (Scotty) was born in Miami, FL to Earl R. Scott, Jr. and Sandra Scott on December 24, 1984.

Scotty set very high goals for himself and had an adventurous spirit. He mentored many friends and neighbors and was an inspiration to everyone he met.

Scotty enjoyed spending his time camping, fishing, surfing, scuba diving, playing the drums, and riding his Harley Davidson motorcycle along with a devout passion for flying. He attended FCCJ (Florida Community College at Jacksonville) where he received his fixed wing pilots license. After completing high school and selling his landscaping business, he enlisted and was accepted into the United States Army. Scotty became an Army helicopter pilot and achieved the rank of Chief Warrant Officer Two while working towards a Bachelors Degree in Aviation.

During his Army career Scotty completed Basic Training, Warrant Officer Basic Course, flight school and the OH-58D Aircraft Qualification Course at Ft. Rucker Alabama. Following flight school, he was assigned to 2nd Squadron, 6th Calvary Regiment, 25th Combat Aviation Brigade at Wheeler Army Airfield, Hawaii. While assigned to Alpha troop he attended multiple gunnery and training exercises in support of the 25th infantry division. He then deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 09-11.

Scotty's awards and decorations include the Bronze Star Medal, Army Achievment Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Iraqi Campaign Medal with Campaign Star, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, United States Army Service Ribbon, and the Army Aviator Badge.

Background for our other heroes riding with Scotty
Army Pfc. Jonathan M. Villanueva

19, of Jacksonville, FL. Jonathan was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division at Fork Polk, LA. He served our country in Afghanistan.

Click here for Jonathan Villanueva news article

Army Staff Sgt. Jason S. Dahlke

29, of Orlando, FL. Jason was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment at Hunter Army Airfield, GA. He served our country in Afghanistan.

Click here for Jason Dahlke - Army Rangers site

Marine Lance Cpl. Jonathan A. Taylor

22, of Jacksonville, FL. Jonathan was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune, NC. He served our country in Afghanistan.

Jonathan Taylor started talking about joining the Marine Corps when he was just 11. At 13, he wasn't quite old enough so he joined the Naval Sea Cadets Corps. "He was highly motivated" said Lt Cmdr. June Tillett who mentored Taylor in the program. "I've gone through thousands of cadets and he was in my top five" she said. "I feel like I've lost a son."

Taylor loved the Florida Gators and enjoyed politics and history. "He brought so much light to the family" said sister MacKenzie, 15. "If you saw him you would smile."

Friends and family said Taylor excelled in Junior ROTC activities as a youngster and knew what it meant to serve. "Jonathan was one of those idealists" said James Miller, Taylor's high school history teacher. "He understood why we started this country. He got the sacrifices behind this country."

=============================================================

Click these links for a couple of news stories about Scotty and the first memorial ride.
http://archive.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...Dream-Come-True
http://archive.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=175267

Click the following links for the memory book and pics from the first memorial ride 2010-11.
Memory Book
Trip Log
Personal Thoughts Book
Ride Pictures

==============================================================

Click these links for the memory book and pics from the second memorial ride 2014-15.

Memory Book - cover
- Earl Scott III
- Jason Dahlke
- Jonathan Taylor
- Jonathan Villanueva

Trip Log through 12/1/2015
Ride Pictures (updated as ride progresses)
Video from Scotty's uncle to start the ride
FoxnHound donates his LT bars to the Larry E. Smedley National Vietnam War Museum

Our Heroes take a plane ride...

Click this link for the Second Memorial Ride route and last memorial location - updated as ride progresses (HD Ride Planner)
Earl Scott III memorial ride route

Ride progress maps - Miles our heroes have traveled to date - Primary ride: 18,017 Secondary rides: 4,716

========================================================================

To Scotty, Jonathan, Jason, Jonathan - Thank you for your sacrifice in protecting our freedoms.
To the families - Thank you for for letting HSOA be a part of this memorial to your sons.
To HSOA guys and gals - Thanks for honoring these hero's memories and keeping our active service members and veterans in the public eye.

usa usa usa usa

=========================================================================

2014-15 Memorial Ride articles

Article in the Allen American - Allen, TX - 2/12/2015
Rolling memorial passes through city

Article in the Kenton Times - Kenton, OH
By DAN ROBINSON
Kenton Times staff writer
Kenton, OH
10/13/2014

Until Saturday afternoon, Tim Teneyck, Rich Vogel and David Clemens had never met Tara Reyna, but they shared a common bond.

The members of a motorcycle club and the young woman stood at the square in Kenton, swapping stories and honoring the memory of Earl Scott III and within minutes, they were like family. "Scotty" couldnıt be there for the introductions, but the presence of the fallen soldier was felt when the new friends shared a memorial which the members of the Heritage Springer Owners Association have driven throughout America in honor of Reynaıs fiance.

Tara met Scotty socially in Hawaii; at least that was what she thought at first. She had a boyfriend, but the young soldier was persistent in getting her attention, she recalled. He remembered seeing her at a wedding and when she doubted his memory, Scotty produced pictures to prove it. Despite being warned by others, Tara found herself spending more time with Scotty and over time, his friends admitted the soldier had given up his lady's man lifestyle and was interested only in her. "He was crazy and adventurous," said Tara. "Scotty never let anything stop him. Whatever he wanted to do, he would do and never thought of the consequences. When we were together, we challenged each other."

Five years ago, Scotty and Tara decided they wanted to spend their lives together and became engaged. Scotty was passionate about flying, she remembered. The 24-year-old was deployed to Iraq, where he piloted a helicopter. He found time at some point of each day to contact Tara. November 8, 2009 was no exception, but the conversation seemed different, Tara remembered. "He called me at about two or three a.m.," she said. "He had gone to eat and for whatever reason, when he came back to his room, he had called me. He told me several times he loved me. It was like he just wanted me to know that. It was the last time I talked to him. Iım so glad I got that call from him."

A few hours later, while training with his crew, visibility was limited and the helicopter struck a wire. It crashed, killing the crew, including Scotty. The next day, said Tara with tears in her eyes, she waited for Scotty to make his daily call, but it didnıt come. As the day wore on, she became concerned and wrote him a letter. "I sent him a quote from a Led Zeppelin song, that goes, 'If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me.' "

About 2 a.m., Scottyıs mom called to tell Tara his helicopter had gone down. Since that day nearly five years ago, Tara has worked to reach out to others who lose loved ones in the service. "You have this fear when you lose someone, the memory of them will be gone," said Tara. "You fear people will stop caring."

The life and death of Earl Scott III was not being forgotten. His Uncle Mike was a motorcycle enthusiast and a member of the Harley Davidson group Heritage Springer Owners Association. He had shared his love of riding with Scotty, who purchased a bike in plans of visiting each of the 50 states when his time was up in the military. The HSOA members were planning to pass a baton from one member to another in a cross-country ride, but with his nephewıs death in Iraq, Mike suggested the baton be replaced with a memorial for Scotty. Teneyck said the members of the club adopted the idea instantly. A ringed book carrying pictures of Scotty from his family, along with written messages about the fallen soldier, was carried to all 50 states about five years ago. As the book is carried from state to state, said Teneyck, the members find themselves drawn closer to the fallen hero memorialized in its pages. "As anyone who rides knows, you get a lot of time to think on the road," he said. "When you carry the book, it can be a real chest-kicker."

The first book was presented to Scottyıs family in Florida, but a second book is making its way across the 50 states again. It is in Ohio before going west, said Vogel. The HSOA members recently learned Tara had moved to Columbus and as they carried the memorial from their homes in the Toledo area, he said, they asked if she would meet them in Kenton. "I drive through Kenton on business and I noticed it is the home of the first Medal of Honor winner," said Vogel. "I thought that would be a ideal to take the memorial to Jacob Parrottıs grave." The three HSOA members were accompanied by members from the Ada area as their Harleys roared into Kenton Saturday. After a meeting with Tara at the Kenton Municipal Building, she joined them on their bikes to visit Grove Cemetery. With the Rev. Scott Johnson offering a blessing of their cycles and a prayer for Scotty, they prepared to continue their remembrances over lunch before Tara returned home and the riders continued on their mission. "His dream was to visit all of the states and Scotty died a hero before he could do that. We are just taking him for that ride," said Teneyck.

=========================================================================

More about HSOA
http://www.heritagespringer.com

****************************************************************************************************************************
****************************************************************************************************************************

Edited by gtmalone (03/09/16 07:11 AM)

Pic of the week/month
horn

"Heritage Springer" is a trademark of Harley-Davidson. No attempt is being made to take away from Harley-Davidson and their legally owned trademark.
Harley Davidson and Heritage Springer trademark names are used only for reference and descriptive purposes.
Copyright İ 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 HSOA, LLC